Sunday, February 6, 2011

Getting a child's attention

On to my favorite subject. Children! They are so beautiful ; both internally and outside. It is hard to imagine how could the world that starts from such beautiful stage, tends to breed hatred, hypocrisy, war and greed. But discussing that is not my purpose today. Today, I only wish to narrate a small incident that took my attention while I was at a Cricket match organized by my colleagues.

This day, the school had some attendance as opposed to totally empty school that we have seen during all the other  matches. As per their routine, the junior students flocked into the lawns surrounding the playgrounds to have there lunch and play around. I think they were under the instruction of some teacher to allow the big boys, us, to play the game in peace. So far so good.

Someone noticed that few children are still too close and the Ball may just hit some of them if someone pulls a hard one which, is a routine on this ground. Especially this patch of lawn is visited many times by the fielders during a match . So I was asked to ask the kids to leave the place for safety.

I have been teaching for a while in the earlier days of my career and have a soft corner for children. Although I was not familiar with any of those kids enjoying their recess, I did not want to act a bully and drive them away like a truck wading through sheep on the highway. Some thinking was needed.

As I observed the children on the lawn, I saw couple of girls in groups forming circles, engrossed in sharing lunch and chatting their childhood talk. A randomized bunch of boys discussing the game as they observed us seniors play.

I thought that the boys were safe from the oncoming ball (if any) because they already had their attention towards the game and will notice it coming pretty early on to dodge it. But just to make sure they are into the game, I went over to them and:

Me: I hope you all are enjoying the game?
Children: Yess!

Me: You see that guy who is batting at the moment? He hits quite hard and almost here where you all sitting so watch out for the ball. Ok?
Children: Okay Sir.

I don't know why they addressed me with 'Sir'. I was expecting a 'Bhaiyaa' or something similar. The girls are still busy chatting. By then I have thought of something.

I went over to one of the two circles of chit-chat and stood facing the ones who can see the game happening. Other half were with their back towards the game and more vulnerable. I took time till I got some attention and asked with a 'real' smile on my face:

Can they see the game?

'Yes' came the reply.  

"But how will all these (I pointed) friends of yours see the game who are not facing it? And in case needed, the Ball coming?


Chit-Chat was temporarily suspended by the vulnerable half of the group and lunch lost attention for a while as well. I could sense the little minds thinking. As they deciphered the hidden concern behind that question, I was assured that point has made it home and I set on observing the expressions on their faces.

The chewing stopped and the eyeballs rolled towards the forehead without raising the heads. Then, food in hand was taken care of and a consensus was communicated by meeting eyes and nodding heads. Followed by some movements. Hands folding the lunch boxes temporarily, legs releasing themselves from the seated position preparing to carry their masters away from the threat. 'Threat' because unlike the group of boys, these girls were more interested in their chit-chat and sharing than in the game that, for them, must have seemed to be more of an inconvenience now.

I was glad that I have not registered a bad stroke on their budding minds about how adult strangers behave. I returned back to the team in pavilion after completing the task. Only I knew what I have gained extra today.

4 comments:

  1. Great stuff again......the way you express even an invisible event (of course to me and all the other cricket team members) is simply awesome....hats off 2 u.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lots Pardeep :-)

    I just try to put all those little expressions into words!

    Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't this old stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous: Yes. I think the Syndication settings republished it!

    ReplyDelete